This information was copied from the Diamond Jubilee of St. Joseph's Church, dated 1915
about Sacred Heart Church
SACRED HEART PARISH. This flourishing parish was organized in 1893, when in August of that year the Rev. Peter Hoffman was appointed pastor. Already the year previous, to accommodate the increasing number of families of the "West End," Father De Cailly of St. Joseph's opened a school in Ivo Denz' "tin shop" near the N. W. corner of Santa Fe and Union Avenues (Ave L and 23rd), where he also occasionally celebrated mass for the people. This school was opened on the birthday of the Blessed Virgin, September 8, 1892, and was in charge of the Sisters of Humility from St. Joseph's school. After Christmas the school was removed to the little frame house, 2825 Santa Fe Avenue, which Father De Cailly erected for this purpose at his own expense. At the close of the first year, June, 1893, there were 54 pupils attending.
When in the beginning of August Father Hoffman arrived to organize the new parish, he immediately set to work erecting a large brick school building, the corner stone of which was laid the 13th of August. During the meantime the old "tin shop" had again to do duty as church and school. When on the feast of the Immaculate Conception, December the 8th, 1893, the handsome school building was dedicated, the new parish had reason indeed to be proud of its first effort. For seven years this building served also as a place for divine worship, until the erection of the beautiful Sacred Heart Church.
On the 16th day of April, the corner stone of this church was laid; the dedication services took place the following year, on October 15th, 1900. The size of the church is 60 x 145 feet, and it is built of Bedford stone, in pure Roman style of architecture. The three large bells in the tower weigh 7000, 5500, and 3000 lbs. The church possesses a grand organ. The interior furnishings and decorations deserve special mention for their beauty and artistic purity. To Father Hoffman and his faithful people much praise is due for their commendable zeal and sacrifice.